What is Alfresco?
Alfresco is an open source/libre enterprise content management system for Microsoft Windows and Unix-like operating systems. Alfresco comes in three flavors:
- Alfresco Community Edition is an open source software, licensed open source and open standards. It has some important limitations in terms of scalability and availability, since the clustering feature has been removed from the community repository and is only available in the enterprise edition.
- Alfresco Enterprise Edition is commercially & proprietary licensed open source, open standards and enterprise scale. Its design is geared towards users who require a high degree of modularity and scalable performance.
- Alfresco Cloud Edition (Alfresco in the cloud) is the SaaS version of Alfresco.
Alfresco includes a content repository, an out-of-the-box, web-based user interface for managing and using standard portal content, a CIFS interface that provides file system compatibility on Microsoft Windows and Unix-like operating systems, Lucene and Solr indexing, and Activiti workflow. The Alfresco system is developed using Java technology.
Alfresco provides hybrid enterprise content management(ECM) and it enables companies to manage critical information in the on-premise environments/hybrid cloud. Alfresco is simply the smarter way to deploy ECM.
How ECM helps you to manage business process
- Document management
- Records management, including 5015.2 certification
- Image management
- Learning content management support for learning management systems
- LOR Learning Object Repository (edu-sharing)
- Integrated publishing
- Repository access via CIFS/SMB, FTP, WebDAV, NFS and CMIS
- Automating business processes with the embedded Activiti workflow engine
- Lucene search
- Federated servers
- Multi-language support
- Portable application packaging
- Multi-platform support (officially Windows, Linux and Solaris)
- Browser-based GUI (official support for Internet Explorer and Firefox)
- Desktop integration with Microsoft Office (available in enterprise version only), OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice.
- Online integration with Google Docs
- Clustering support
- Pluggable authentication: NTLM, LDAP, Kerberos, CAS
- Multiple database support: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle Database (Enterprise Edition), IBM DB2, Microsoft SQL Server (Enterprise Edition).
Maximize the Value of Enterprise Content
Content chaos results when documents are stored in multiple places on laptops and USB sticks, in email and network drives, and across various file sharing sites. These content siloes are a drain on business productivity and increase security risks.
Alfresco’s document management solution bring company content under control. Important files like legal contracts, marketing assets and engineering documents are easily found, shared and secured. What’s more, Alfresco maximizes the value of content by integrating it into core business processes. Information flows to the right person, at the right time, in the applications and devices people use to get their jobs done.
Powerful Search and Discovery
Alfresco makes it easy for people to quickly locate the exact document they need from among many thousands, even hundreds of thousands of files.
Break Down Barriers to Team Success
Collaboration is critical to business success. Facilitating information and process flows across organizational boundaries increases productivity and creates opportunities for increased responsiveness and innovation.
Alfresco makes it easy for people to collaborate internally and externally across the extended enterprise. Team members can upload, share, modify and approve business documents whether they’re in the office or on the move. Plus, Alfresco’s hybrid cloud configuration seamlessly integrates outside collaborators including resellers, consultants, agencies and customers all with complete control and security.
Dedicated project sites and rich collaboration tools make it easy for teams to work on documents, share knowledge and stay in sync.
- Wiki pages, discussion forums, project blogs and internet links help team members share ideas and expertise.
- Site dashboard alerts who modified which file, when and full document version control ensure people and content are up to date.
- Tasks and built-in workflows keep teams on track and streamline document review and approval.